A Slate House Sign is a stylish and durable addition to your house. We, at Valley Mill, are one of the biggest providers of high quality slate house signs in the UK. We handcraft all slate products from 500 million years old slate, mined at Blaenau Ffestiniog in Wales.
One of the most common questions we get is how to fit a slate house sign with hidden fixings. Some believe this needs the help of a specialist, but in fact it can be done in a few easy steps.
To help you with the fitting we made a short video to help you fit your new house sign with ease. These instructions are also the same for our Wooden House Signs too.
Included in your box is a fitting kit to your house sign, as well as a set of instructions. This will include the appropriate amount of fitting rods and glue, depending on the size of your sign. You will also need a drill equipped with a 5mm masonry drill bit.
- Carefully turn over your house sign.
- Fill each drill hole to the top of the supplied superglue, pushing each rod into place as demonstrated, ideally allowing 24 hours, but a minimum of 4 hours, to set fully.
- Holding the sign against the desired wall, mark out your drill holes above each rod while pressed to the wall. Take into account that doing this will result in the fitted sign being slightly higher than your initial placement.
- Drill 75mm deep into the marks you’ve made on the wall with a 5mm masonry drill bit. We recommend using the spirit level to make sure the sign is level and straight prior to any drilling.
- These holes should be filled with superglue before pressing the rods in the rear of the sign into place.
- You may wish to wipe over your fitted sign with a wet cloth, ensuring no superglue has been left on the slate.
You now successfully fitted a house sign, congratulations!
How To Fit A Sign With Through Hole Fixings
Here is our instructional video to help you correctly fit your new house sign.
Included with your house sign is a fitting and fixing kit and a set of instructions too.
You will receive the appropriate number of dome head screws and wall plugs, depending on the size of your sign.
You will also need a pencil or marker, a spirit level, a flat head screwdriver, a 8mm masonry drill bit and a drill.
- Hold your house sign against the wall where you would like it to be fitted.
- Use a spirit level to ensure it is straight and level.
- Now, mark the wall with a pencil through the holes in the sign.
- Carefully drill the holes approximately 30mm deep into the wall using an 8mm drill bit.
- Insert the wall plugs in to the holes.
- Now simply place your house sign against the wall and screw into place.
How To Design A House Sign
We have created our online design tool to be simple and easy-to-use. This video shows you how simple it is to design your bespoke house sign.